Thursday, June 10, 2010

Oh Ya!

I believe that things happen for a reason. If you have been following my blog, you may have noticed my subtle or not so, hints that I have been struggling to remain my cheery self. Lots of stressors as of late. It's also been raining steady for weeks. I signed up to receive a Goddess email once a week. I like that kinda stuff. Anyway...coincidence or I think more like fate...I received this today. I believe I shall be invoking my inner OYA.



I work in ways deep
ever present
always moving
I work in ways dramatic
with thunder and lightning
sweeping and uprooting
I work in ways subtle
pushing and prodding
wearing and tearing
I swirl you and twirl you
I splatter you and scatter you
I shock you and rock you
I clear the way for what is to come
I can be slight or stupendous
brief or long lasting
uproaring or uprising
What I can't be is ignored


African goddess Oya is a Goddess of Storms. She represents feminine leadership - invoke Oya when you are in need of strength in your quest for leadership and authority.

MANTRA

  • Strength

GEMSTONES

  • Garnet, bloodstone, tourmaline, smoky quartz (red stones)

AFFIRMATIONS

  • I trust the Universe to provide
  • It's OK to release my anger
  • There are rainbows in every rainfall
  • My new life path reveals itself to me
  • I relinquish destructive influences
  • I welcome Oya's recuperative power
Her Story

African deities (orishas) are usually represented by flowing, swirling images of colour and movement, depicting the elemental energies rather than an anthropomorphised image. Oya, goddess of storms, tempests and rain, dances in spirals representing tornadoes and wind - the winds of change, sweeping away the old in order to prepare for the new. She wreaks destruction in order to find and prepare for underlying calm.

She was the wife of Shango , Lord of Thunder and Fertility, and together they fight side by side creating thunder, lightning and destruction. She is goddess of the marketplace, bringing fortune to her patrons. And she is the only African orisha brave enough to confront death - she is goddess of funeral processions and cemeteries (cemeteries being known as "Oya's Garden").

Her Modern Energy

Oya embodies the fiery passion that is buried in the feminine psyche. Unleashed, she is warrior woman, armed and helmeted fighting injustice and forging victories. If you invoke Oya, be prepared to deal with the consequences! Or, if she is presenting herself to you in your life, be prepared to be tossed in her storms but be comforted in the knowledge that she is here to teach you about personal will and sense of purpose.

Mother of transformation, patron of feminine leadership, trust Oya to travel with you through this time of change. Welcome her lessons she is here to teach you, for without the rain we don't get rainbows (another symbol of Oya).

Oya is related to our base chakra, home of the kundalini energy. When our base chakra is in balance, we feel secure, alert, stable - our lives are full of active and positive energy. If you are not feeling like this, it is no wonder Oya is speaking to you today.

Reconnect With Your Inner Oya

Make a shrine to Oya with red foods such as plums, grapes and red wine, and on the next dark moon honour her in a meditation. Sit on the floor, close your eyes, and while nurturing a related gemstone, feel your spine grow and take root in the earth. Feel the strength of the earth energise your spine and your body. Reach up high and stretch for that rainbow that is formed over your head, arching over your body radiating love, calm, and protection. You are indestructable! You are strong!

Go Warrior Woman!!

What Would Oya Do?

... If she were in your situation, she would huff and puff in order to bring about a simpler life. She would welcome the winds of change and not be precious about what gets blown away. And, she would jump in puddles, chase rainbows and savour the calm after the storm.

No comments: